About the Department
Head of Department - Dmytro P. Rasshyvalov
Head of the Chair of International Business, Head of the Department
Associate professor, Ph.D. in International Economics
Contacts: tel. 481-45-02, email@example.com
The Department of International Business was established at the IIR in 2000 to train specialists in the field of international business as a separate area of training. The professional component of the educational process is provided by the Chair of International Business in cooperation with two departments of the economic block of the IIR - the Chairs of International Economic Relations and International Finance.
According to the RESOLUTION of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 266 of April 29, 2015 "On approval of the list of fields of knowledge and specialties in which higher education is provided," from September 1, 2015 training of international economists in all areas is carried out within the major International Economic Relations. Applicants for higher education who entered the IIR before the entry into force of this resolution (including those who will be enrolled in the Institute in the summer of 2015) will continue their studies in accordance with the chosen field of study and International Business Major.
Within the international business specialty, the Institute trains international economists who, due to the acquired knowledge and skills, are able to:
- perform analytical and managerial functions of the appropriate level in the activities of central and local executive bodies in the field of international business cooperation;
- make independent, honest and responsible decisions in the field of international business process management in the activities of Ukrainian and foreign companies;
- conduct research and perform consultative activities in the field of international business.
Professional differences between the International Business and International Economic Relations majors
International business and International economic relations are two related majors that have a common object of teaching, namely - external to the national economy economic processes, factors and phenomena. The main difference between the two majors is the different subject areas of teaching and, accordingly, the knowledge and skills of graduates:
- For the International Economic Relations major, the subject area of teaching is the macro-level of economic processes, factors, and phenomena external to the national economy, which are determined by such basic concepts as: world economy, interstate economic relations, foreign trade balance, competitiveness in the world economy, conjuncture of world commodity markets, the impact of foreign direct investment on the national economy, the country's participation in global and regional integration processes, relations with international economic organizations, foreign trade policy and state regulation of foreign economic activity, etc.
- For the International Business major, the subject area of teaching is the micro-level (corporate) of economic processes, factors and phenomena, external to the national economy, which are defined by such basic concepts as: foreign economic activity of the enterprise, organization and techniques of foreign trade operations, marketing and competitive strategy of the corporation, corporate management in international companies: strategic, financial, risk management, HR-management, cross-cultural, creative, change management, etc.; business planning of an international investment project, sectoral features of international business projects, etc.
Thus, studying in International Business major involves the acquisition of relevant knowledge and to-be-applied skills in the field of international business processes at the corporate level.
Different subject areas of the two majors determine a different set of disciplines (or different amounts of hours in the disciplines) and, accordingly, different knowledge and skills of graduates of bachelor's and master's programs.
Within the International Business major, students acquire knowledge and professional qualifications in the following specializations (hereinafter – specialized programs):
About the educational program "International Business"
The main purpose of training specialists in the educational program "International Business" is to provide students with basic knowledge of the theory and practice of the world economy at the corporate level, international management and marketing, human resources and HR-management, applied aspects of international trade of goods and services, international capital movements and intellectual property, international finance, management of foreign economic activity of the firm.
The educational process under the program is carried out at the Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv on the basis of the Department of International Business.
Training of specialists in the field of "International business" at the Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv has been carried out since 1990.
Bachelor’s graduates receive:
– educational qualification:
Bachelor of International Economic Relations
– professional qualification:
specialist in international business
specialist in translation
Master’s graduates receive:
– educational qualification:
Master of International Economic Relations
– professional qualification:
Training of a specialist in the educational program "International Business" educational level (EL) Bachelor is carried out in the following specializations:
1. International business and business administration;
2. International management and marketing;
3. Finances of international business.
Training of a specialist in the educational program "International Business" (EL) Master is carried out in the following specializations:
1. International business and business administration
2. International management and marketing
3. Finance of international business
4. GR-management and lobbying of international business projects
5. Social entrepreneurship and responsibility in international business.
As part of the educational program, an English-language master's program "International management and marketing" has been introduced since 2014. The English-language master's program is a one-and-a-half-year program for full-time students with subjects taught in English. The program includes courses in which students study global business processes and company management in a competitive market. After completing the master's program, foreign students receive the professional qualification of international economist, and Ukrainian students – the qualification of international economist and translator from English.
The educational process is provided by lecturer, first of all, of the Department of International Business, World Economy and International Economic Relations, International Finance, Department of Foreign Languages, other departments of the Institute of International Relations and faculties and institutes of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv.
In addition, employees of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade, other government agencies of Ukraine, employees of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, international organizations, Ukrainian and foreign business structures, foreign teachers of leading educational institutions of other countries are invited to give lectures, seminars or workshops.
Today, the Department of International Business has 19 lecturers. Among them there are: 5 Doctors of Economic sciences and Full Professors, 13 Candidates of Economic sciences, Associate Professors and assistants.
For the acquisition by students of primary practical skills, the curriculum provides for the following types of practice:
- Research and production practice (EL "Master").
The bases of practice for our students are the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine (territorial and functional departments), the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine, the Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine (Security and Defense Economics Department, Department for Foreign Economic Activity and Trade Protection, Department for Exporter Relations and Export Promotion, Department for International Economic, Trade and Agriculture Cooperation, Department for Multilateral and Bilateral Trade Agreements), Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (Institute of International Relations), National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, international organizations, Association of International Economists, national and foreign business structures.
Graduates of the educational program can occupy primary positions: manager of foreign economic activity, manager of asset management of international companies, manager of international investment projects, economist-marketer, economist of foreign economic activity planning, economist of financial work in international markets, observer of foreign economic issues, economist of contractual and pretentious work, tutor (assistant) of a higher educational institution, analyst in the study of international commodity markets, consultant on foreign economic issues, economic advisor, translator, attaché, diplomatic agent, translator from a foreign language.
Our graduates work:
- in the missions of transnational corporations, joint ventures and enterprises with foreign capital;
- in international economic organizations;
- in domestic and foreign corporations carrying out international business projects;
- in higher educational institutions, academic institutions of Ukraine and foreign countries;
- in line ministries and other departmental structures.
THE STUDENTS OF THE "INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS" EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM OF THE SPECIALTY "INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC RELATIONS" HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO STUDY AT THE SAME TIME AT PARTNER UNIVERSITIES AND GET A DOUBLE DIPLOMA.