SPECIALTY 291 INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS AND REGIONAL STUDIES
Bachelor’s and Master’s educational programs:
- Educational program “International Communications” (Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees)
- Educational program “International Journalism” (Master’s degree)
Educational program “International Communications”
Educational program “International Communications” is the successor of the specialty “International Information” that was created in the Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv on 1 June, 1993 by the Professor Valerii Gondul.
The purpose is the preparation of highly qualified international specialists for the information and analytical offices and departments on communication of international, public, commercial and civil organizations.
Proposed by the Professor V. Gondul concept of preparation of specialists on the specialty “International Information” was in advance of its time and with years not only did not lose its relevance, but also became more requested.
Thorough knowledge of international relations and two foreign languages, deepened knowledge of modern communicative technologies combined with the tool of information and analytical work and skills of using the modern information technologies increase the competitiveness of graduates and create the vast opportunities for employment both within the country and abroad.
From 2015 the preparation of international specialists in the sphere of information and communication is carried out within the frameworks of specialty 291 “International Relations, Social Communications and Regional Studies” (Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine "On approval of the list of branches of knowledge and specialties in which higher education students are trained" №266, from 29 April, 2015). The admission of applicants is carried out on the educational program “International Communications” (IC).
Telegram specialty bot via the link.
THE PROFESSIONAL PREPARATION
Within the frameworks of IC program, the preparation of specialists includes:
- Providing thorough knowledge about the political, economic, legal, security aspects of international relations and proficiency in two foreign languages on the high level.
- Forming knowledge and skills of employing the tool of information and analytical work using the modern information technologies. Such specialists are able to optimize the search and processing of great amount of information, to create the quality information and analytical materials for international, public, commercial and other organizations as well as competently hold the presentations of the results of their research, ideas, and projects for diverse audiences.
- Forming comprehension and integral understanding of modes, methods and tools for manipulating the mass conscience and opportunities of confronting the destructive information impacts.
Within the frameworks of IC program students have the opportunity to find out how the media and politicians influence the public opinion, how are held the propaganda campaigns, how are planned and realized the information and psychological operations as well as what are the possibilities of enhancing the information security on the national and international level.
- Providing the knowledge and skills of elaboration and realization of effective communications on the corporate, public and international levels. This can be PR-campaign, advertisement campaign, foreign policy communication of state for realization of its interests and goals, communication in the crisis situations, campaign on promotion of corporate or public brand etc.
Directions of activity of specialists on international communications:
- Planning and realization of communicative strategies in international relations (PR-campaigns, crisis communications, public diplomacy, image-making, branding);
- Holding of information and analytical research for ministries, agencies and corporations;
- Elaboration and spreading of information and explanatory materials on the foreign policy activity of state;
- Elaboration for public authorities of offensive and defensive strategies in conditions of information confrontation;
- Analysis and anticipating of international events and behavior of international relations subjects;
- Organizing of work of press-services and communication departments in the public and commercial establishments;
- Management of information resources and flows, particularly in the Internet;
- Elaboration and realization of state information policy;
- Providing consult services in all the spheres of life;
- Preparation of information and analytical materials for mass media on the actual issues of international relations etc.
Summary of academic disciplines of IC educational program you can find here.
EMPLOYMENT OF GRADUATES
The graduates of IC find the jobs in such organizations and establishments as:
- Central public authorities (Administration of the President, Committees of the Supreme Council, Council of National Security and Defense of Ukraine, Security Service of Ukraine, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine and other line ministries and departments);
- Diplomatic representative offices abroad (embassies, consulates, representative offices of international organizations);
- Commercial companies/corporations of national and international levels;
- Analytical centers, political parties and civil organizations;
- Mass media etc.
The IC graduates can hold such basic positions:
- Specialist on the communication technologies (PR-manager/consultant, manager of internal and external communications, expert on the analytics and communications, crisis manager etc.);
- Specialist on political consulting, expert/consultant on social and political issues (political operative in the political parties and civil organizations);
- Image-maker, specialist on branding (brand-manager, brand-consultant);
- Analyst-referent of the press-service of foreign policy agencies and diplomatic establishments;
- International analyst in the sphere of mass media (political observer, journalist-analyst);
- Expert on international security (specialist on information operations)
- Content-manager, copywriter;
- attaché, diplomatic agent, diplomatic courier;
- Translator etc.
Educational program “International Journalism”
From 2016 there was introduced the master’s program “International Journalism”.
International Journalism is the profession-oriented program for students of day studies that lasts for 1,5 year.
The goal is to prepare the highly qualified international specialists in the sphere of media.
The detailed information about the program is here.
The educational process is carried out by two departments:
Department of International Information, created in 1993, includes 3 Doctorates of Sciences and 10 Candidates of Sciences. The Head of Department is the Doctorate of Political Sciences, Professor, Honorary Member of Universities (Pittsburgh, USA; York, Canada; Osnabruck, Kiel, Germany) Mykola Rizhkov.
Department of International Media Communications and Communicative Technologies, created in 2012, includes 3 Doctorates of Sciences and 4 Candidates of Sciences. The Head of the Department is the Doctorate of Political Sciences Sergii Danilenko.