INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS AND REGIONAL STUDIES SPECIALTY
Under International Communications educational program the main purpose of training students is that they receive fundamental knowledge, skills and abilities needed for successful performance of the professional duties within the field of international relations, with a focus on developing competencies required for doing analytical and diplomatic work and ensuring international, regional and national effective communication. Studying several foreign languages and obtaining substantive knowledge within the field of international relations that includes the foundations of international law, international economics and business shall be the basis of training under IC program. Specialists in International Communications are capable of developing and implementing effective communication strategies at the corporate, national and international level through modern information and communication technologies and instruments of information and analytical work.
In practice, those specialists are engaged in:
creating good international image and brand of a state or an organization;
carrying out activities within the field of cultural and public diplomacy;
organising the work of press services in public and commercial institutions;
defining methods of mass consciousness manipulating and misinformation in the media and on the Internet;
developing offensive and defence strategies for public authorities amid information confrontation (information warfare);
analysing and forecasting international events and behaviour of actors in international relations;
conducting analytical research on relevant issues of international relations;
planning and introducing national and international PR campaigns;
preparing information and analytical materials for national and international TV and radio companies, etc.
Training of specialists in international communications is provided under the following majors:
International branding communication: Impact technologies in public communication, branding policy instruments, information geopolitics, public PR.
Corporate Communications: digital communication, corporate social responsibility in PR, competitive intelligence, international advertising practice.
Graduates of the MA programs will receive the following qualifications:
- educational: Master of International Relations, Public Communications and Regional Studies in the field of International Communication
- professional: Expert on social and political issues in the field of communication, Translator.
In 2015 the English-language Master's program International communication and global media was introduced. The English-language Master's Program is a one-and-a-half year program for full-time students with teaching provided in English. The program includes the courses on International Communications, Crisis Communications, Reputation Management, Modelling and Forecasting in International Relations, Foreign Language, Public Diplomacy, E-Governance, Mass Media Sociology, Foreign Policy, International Information Law.
After graduating from the master's program:
- foreign students receive professional qualification of "Analyst of consolidated information in the field of international relations",
- Ukrainian students receive professional qualifications of "Analyst of consolidated information in the field of international relations " and "English Translator ".
In 2016 the Master's program International Journalism (Analytical Journalism) was introduced. International journalism is a practical one and a half year program for full-time students. The program includes the courses on Theory and Practice of International Journalism, Cyber Security, International Relations and World Politics, Diplomatic Protocol and Business Etiquette, Media Law and Mediation, Modelling and Forecasting in International Relations, Geopolitical Problems in Modern Media, Language of Modern Media, Foreign Language, Information Resources of State Identity, Fundamentals of Visual Communication, Cultural Diplomacy, Practice of Negotiation and Mediation, Systemic Methods for the Study of International Relations.
The training of specialists in international journalism is carried out under the following majors:
International journalism (Analytical journalism): International media analytics, Hybrid media wars, Psycho-technologies in honey, New media workshop, Tele-journalism workshop, Master class on the techniques of the television presenter (Broadcasting), Master class on Radio Journalism.
International Media Communication: Media Information Wars, Information Operations in Network Media, Information Conflict Technologies, Social Media Monitoring, Cross Cultural Communication, PR Media Spheres, Fundamentals of Mass Communication Activities, Technologies of Media Influence.
After graduating from the master's program students receive the qualification of "Master of International Relations, Public Communications and Regional Studies, majoring in International journalism".
In 2018 the Master's Program International Information was introduced. International information is a professional one and a half year program for full‑time students. The program includes the following courses on National Security, International Internet Communication, Propaganda in the System of International Communications, Methodology and Organization of Research on Intellectual Property, Analytical Centres, International Information Law, Foreign Language.
The training of specialists in international journalism is carried out under the following majors:
Strategic Communications: Information-psychological operations in international relations; Strategic culture in foreign policy; Strategic analysis in international relations; Communicative tools of Ukraine in international relations.
Foreign Policy Advocacy: Countering misinformation practice; Cross-cultural communication; Information systems of forecasting interstate relations; Communication in the EU.
After graduating from the master's program students receive professional qualifications of "Master of International Relations, Public Communications and Regional Studies majoring in International Information and "Analyst of Consolidated Information in the Field of International Relations".
Institutions ensuring the studying process
The Department of International Information and the Department of International Media Communication and Communication Technologies that have significant experience in teaching and methodology in the field of international information and communication ensure the studying process. In addition, employees of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, other ministries and departments of Ukraine, lecturers from other universities, research institutions, as well as practitioners from governmental and non-governmental organizations, and outstanding international journalists - are invited to attend the lectures, seminars or practical classes, master classes at the MA courses.
- The Department of International Information, founded in 1993, consists of 6 doctors of sciences and 8 candidates of sciences. Doctor of Political Sciences, Professor, Honorary Member of Universities (Pittsburgh, USA, York, Canada, Osnabruck, Kiel, Germany) - Ryzhkov Nikolai Nikolaevich is the head of the department.
- The Department of International Media Communication and Communication Technologies, established in 2012, consists of 3 doctors of sciences and 4 candidates of sciences. Doctor of political sciences Danilenko Sergey Ivanovich is the head of the department.
The professional practice of students
In order to acquire students' primary practical skills, the curriculum foresees the conduct of production practices. The bases of practice for our students are: Administration of the President of Ukraine, committees of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, National Security and Defence Council of Ukraine, Security Service of Ukraine, State Committee for Television and Radio Broadcasting of Ukraine, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, Ministry of Information Policy, Ministry of Defence of Ukraine (the Department of the analytical and organizational support of the work of the Ministry, the Department of Communications and the Mass Media), the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine, the Ministry of Economics Development and Trade of Ukraine, Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine, National Institute for Strategic Studies (Information Security and Information Society Development), as well as mass media and commercial institutions providing services in the field of political consulting, strategic communications, crisis communication management, competitive intelligence, public relations, marketing, advertising, etc.
Career opportunities for our graduates
Graduates are employed in central government agencies (Presidential Administration, Committees of the Verkhovna Rada, NSDC, SSU, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine and other ministries and departments), diplomatic and consular missions, representations of the international organizations, national and international commercial companies /corporations, think tanks, media, etc., and may take the following positions of:
• a specialist in communicative technologies (PR specialist, internal and external communications manager, PR and GR manager, analyst and communications expert, crisis manager);
• a specialist in political consulting, expert / consultant in socio-political issues (political technologist in political parties and public organizations);
• an image maker, branding specialist (brand manager, brand consultant);
• an analyst-adviser of the press service of foreign policy departments and diplomatic institutions;
• an expert within the field of European integration;
• an international media analyst (political observer, journalist-analyst);
• an information security expert (information operations expert);
• a content manager, a copywriter;
• an attaché, a diplomatic agent, a diplomatic courier;
Our graduates work
- on state positions in central bodies and institutions of Ukraine;
- in representative offices of multinational corporations, joint ventures and enterprises with foreign capital;
- in international governmental and non-governmental organizations;
- in communicative departments of business companies and organizations;
- the editors of the "International Information" departments in leading national media and representatives of the world media in Ukraine;
- in higher educational establishments, academic institutions of Ukraine and abroad.