MA Programme "Diplomacy and International Cooperation"
MA Programme Diplomacy and International Cooperation
The main purpose of the professional education program “Diplomacy and International Cooperation” is to train specialists in the field of international relations and diplomacy and practical implementation of international cooperation.
To view the program presentation, click on the image below:
Head of the program:
Ph.D. in History, Professor, Head of the Department of International Organizations and Diplomatic Service, Matviyenko Victor M.
Educational: Master of International Relations, Public Communication and Regional Studies, specializing in diplomacy and international co-operation.
Professional: An expert in socio-political issues (diplomacy and international cooperation).
Program profile: Teaching of all disciplines is performed in Ukrainian.
The admission to the program is open for both Ukrainian citizens and foreigners (provided that they have knowledge of the state language after studying at the preparatory faculty of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv) who have basic undergraduate or bachelor and specialist degrees in the specialties of the field of knowledge “International relations”, and for graduates that obtained bachelor in other specialties provided that they complete successfully the additional entrance exam on “Foreign Policy and Diplomacy of Ukraine.”
Students' training is provided according to specialization:
• Diplomacy and international cooperation.
Subjects of the MA program course.
• The theory and practice of modern diplomacy;
• International organizations and modern global problems;
• World diplomacy;
• Diplomatic service and external relations law;
• Diplomatic protocol and professional ethics;
• Foreign language;
• European politics, governance, diplomacy;
• Theory and practice of international negotiations;
• National memory in international relations;
• Integration processes and mergers;
• Multilateral diplomacy and mechanisms for regulating international relations;
• Public administration and foreign policy decisions;
• Non-state actors and lobbying in international affairs.
Applicants for the master's degree program are free to choose certain disciplines aimed at developing professional skills within diplomatic provision of international cooperation. Successful completion of selective courses (getting an average of no less than 75 points out of 100) is a prerequisite for the professional qualifications to be awarded to graduates of the Master's program.
Discipline of free choice of students:
Specialization "Diplomacy and International Cooperation"
• Economic diplomacy;
• Consular work in modern diplomatic practice;
• Language of diplomatic documents (workshop);
• Public and cultural diplomacy;
• Practical psychology in diplomacy;
• Council of Europe: political and legal mechanism of cooperation / International organizations in the field of security;
• Strategic Planning in International Relations / Soft Power in International Relations;
• Foreign-Political Communication Technologies / Virtual Diplomacy.
Professional competencies that are formed:
• In-depth knowledge of the nature, dynamics, organizational principles of international relations, types and types of international actors, current trends in the development of world politicy and diplomacy.
• Understanding the essence of the globalization processes and their impact on international relations in general and on the achievement of international cooperation through diplomatic means in particular.
• Ability to analyze and project international relations and diplomatic interaction among international actors in different contexts, in particular political, security, legal, economic, social, cultural and informational.
• In-depth knowledge of theoretical and applied research in international relations, world policy and diplomacy in politics, economy, law, as well as in interdisciplinary research.
• In-depth knowledge of nature and sources of foreign policy and diplomacy of the state, the evolution of approaches to the formation and implementation of foreign policy and diplomacy, the principles of the foreign policy organization and the functioning of foreign policy institutes and diplomacy.
• Ability to organize and carry out independent scientific researches on international relations problems, to determine scientific problems, to prepare scientific texts and reports, to execute their public approbation.
• Ability to conduct applied analytical studies of problems of international relations and world policy and diplomacy, professionally prepare analytical materials and reports.
• Ability to organize and hold international meetings, diplomatic negotiations, to work at international conferences and organizations, to work under other forms of practical international cooperation, to work with diplomatic and international documents.
• In-depth knowledge of the organization and functioning of the European Union, understanding of modern European integration processes and Ukraine’s status in them.
• Understanding features of the development of countries and regions, modern global, regional and local processes, and their place in Ukraine
• Ability to develop approaches to solving problems and tasks in the field of international relations, international and national security, foreign policy and diplomacy (in particular, regarding settlement of international and national conflicts)
• Possession of foreign languages at a professional level, translating texts and interpreting within the field of international relations ...
Subject to the curriculum of the master's program, to acquire practical skills students pass the field (pre-diploma) practice during the semester without leaving the training sessions in the territorial and functional divisions of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine (in accordance with the Agreement on cooperation between the Institute of International Relations of the Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine dated from May 30, 2017).
Our graduates can work in the following institutions:
• central government authorities, exercising full powers in foreign affairs, foreign policy and diplomacy (Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, Administration of the President of Ukraine, Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, departments of international cooperation of other ministries and departments of Ukraine),
• departments of international cooperation of local authorities,
• international intergovernmental organizations (UN system organizations, regional organizations )
• non-governmental international organizations
• Ukrainian companies engaged in international activities
• representative offices of multinational companies
• Ukrainian and foreign higher educational and academic institutions
• Ukrainian and international analytical, research and consulting agencies.
Form of training: day studies
Сourse of training: 1 year 4 months
Students of the Master's program "Diplomacy and International Cooperation" also make use of academic mobility opportunities of the Institute of International Relations Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University and may GET DOUBLE DEGREE as stipulated by agreements with educational institutions of Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium, Greece, Georgia, Russia, India, Spain, Italy, Kazakhstan, China, Cyprus, Lithuania, Morocco, Germany, Poland, USA, Hungary, Uzbekistan, France, Croatia.