The main purpose of the training of specialists in the field of International Relations is the students’ acquiring of in-depth knowledge of the theory and practice of international relations, foreign policy, international security, qualification for political analysis of international relations and foreign policy of the states, as well as for effective work in the spheres of foreign policy and international cooperation, professional knowledge of foreign language. Students study foreign languages (English, German, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, etc.).
The educational process of the department is carried out at the Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv on the basis of the Department of International Relations and Foreign Policy and the International Organizations and Diplomatic Service Chair. The training of specialists of "international relations" course at the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv has been conducted since 1944.
Education is carried out according to undergraduate (bachelor) and graduate (master) degree programs.
Bachelors’ graduates receive:
Educational qualification - Bachelor of International Relations, Public Communications and Regional Studios in conformity with the specialization in International Relations.
- professional qualification - Specialist in international relations, Specialist-Interpreter
Masters’ graduates, depending on the educational program, receive:
Master in International Relations, Public Communications and Regional Studios
Professional qualification - Political scientist, International Relations; junior researcher in international relations or expert on socio-political issues
Training of specialists of undergraduate degree programs is carried out according to the following specializations:
1. International Political Analysis;
2. International Non-state Cooperation;
3. Regional Problems of International Relations;
4. Diplomacy and Diplomatic Service;
5. International Organizations and Multilateral Diplomacy.
The training of international experts and experts on socio-political issues of educational level (OR) is conducted according to the following specializations:
- Strategic and Security Research;
- European Studies;
- International political examination;
- Diplomacy and diplomatic service;
- International organizations and integration processes.
- Humanitarian Dimension in International Politics;
- International Development and Assistance;
- Applied Analysis of International Politics;
- Diplomatic Service and International Cooperation;
- International Cooperation in the State and Municipal Sectors;
- International Organizations and Multilateral Diplomacy;
- Applied Research of Foreign Policy;
- Regional Systems of International Relations (the opportunity to choose regions).
- East European Studies
- Environment and Energy Security
- European Studios
- Diplomacy and International Cooperation
The training process is provided by the lecturers, in the first instance, of the Department of International Relations and Foreign Policy and the Department of International Organizations and the Diplomatic Service Chair, as well as other departments of the Institute of International Relations: the Department of Regional Studies, the Chair of World Economy and International Economic Relations, International Finance, International Business, Departments of International Law, Department of International Private Law, Department of Comparative and European Law, Department of International Information, Department of International Media Communications and Communicative Technologies, Chair of Foreign Languages.
In addition, employees of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, other ministries and departments of Ukraine, employees of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, international organizations, Ukrainian and foreign structures, foreign lecturers of leading educational institutions of other countries are invited to lecture courses, seminars or practical classes, master classes. etc.
Today, 19 faculty members work in the Department of International Relations and Foreign Policy. There are 6 PhD. professors; 8 PhD, associate professors; 2 PhD, assistants.
The scientific potential of the International Organizations and Diplomatic Service Chair includes 9 lecturers. Among them: 3 professors, PhD; 3 associate professors, PhD; and 3 assistants.
For the students' acquisition of primary practical skills, the curriculum provides for the following types of practice:
• Manufacturing practice (professional translation) ("Bachelor"),
• Manufacturing practice (pre-diploma) ("Bachelor"),
• Scientific and Production Practice ("Master").
The bases of practice for our students are the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine (territorial and functional departments), other ministries and central authorities of Ukraine, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (Institute of International Relations), National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Representative offices of international organizations in Ukraine (UN system agencies), national and foreign think tanks.
Graduates of the degree program may hold primary positions: international analyst, attache, diplomatic agent, diplomatic courier, teacher of higher education, assistant, teacher of a professional educational institution, specialist in public relations and the press, advertiser, expert on foreign economic issues, specialist in civil service, researcher (political science and international relations), expert on socio-political issues (in political parties and other public organizations), political observer, political scientist, translator, commentator, political columnist.
Our graduates work:
• on managerial and executive positions in the central authorities of Ukraine and 90 countries of the world;
• in the central unit at specialized UN agencies;
• in intergovernmental and non-governmental international organizations;
• in leading think tanks;
• in international and Ukrainian public and humanitarian organizations;
• in higher educational establishments, academic institutions of Ukraine and foreign countries;
• in international and domestic private sector enterprises.
STUDENTS STUDYING THE COURSE OF "INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS" ENJOYED ACADEMIC MOBILITY POSSIBILITIES STIPULATED BY AGREEMENTS WITH EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS WORLDWIDE AND HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO RECEIVE A DOUBLE DIPLOMA