INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS AND REGIONAL STUDIES
Bachelor’s and Master’s educational programs:
- Educational program “International Communications” (Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees)
- Educational program “International Journalism” (Master’s degree)
Educational program “International Communications”
The educational program “International Communications” is the successor of the speciality “International Information” that was created in the Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv on 1 June, 1993 by the Professor Valerii Gondul.
The purpose is the preparation of highly qualified international specialists for the information and analytical offices and departments on the communication of international, public, commercial and civil organizations.
Proposed by Professor V. Gondul concept of preparation of specialists on the speciality “International Information” was in advance of its time and with years not only did not lose its relevance but also became more requested.
Thorough knowledge of international relations and two foreign languages, deepened knowledge of modern communicative technologies combined with the tool of information and analytical work and skills of using modern information technologies increase the competitiveness of graduates and create vast opportunities for employment both within the country and abroad.
Since 2015 the preparation of international specialists in the sphere of information and communication is carried out within the frameworks of speciality 291 “International Relations, Social Communications and Regional Studies” (Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine "On approval of the list of branches of knowledge and specialities in which higher education students are trained" №266, from 29 April 2015). The admission of applicants is carried out through the educational program “International Communications” (IC).
- More about the educational program “International Communications”
THE PROFESSIONAL PREPARATION
Within the IC program, the preparation of specialists includes:
- Providing thorough knowledge about the political, economic, legal, and security aspects of international relations and proficiency in two foreign languages on a high level.
- Forming knowledge and skills of employing the tool of information and analytical work using modern information technologies. Such specialists are able to optimize the search and processing of a great amount of information, to create quality information and analytical materials for international, public, commercial and other organizations as well as competently hold the presentations of the results of their research, ideas, and projects for diverse audiences.
- Forming comprehension and integral understanding of modes, methods and tools for manipulating the mass conscience and opportunities of confronting the destructive information impacts. Within the frameworks of IC program students have the opportunity to find out how the media and politicians influence public opinion, how are held propaganda campaigns, how are planned and realized information and psychological operations as well as what are the possibilities for enhancing the information security on the national and international level.
- Providing the knowledge and skills of elaboration and realization of effective communications on the corporate, public and international levels. This can be a PR campaign, advertisement campaign, foreign policy communication of the state for the realization of its interests and goals, communication in crisis situations, campaign on promotion of corporate or public brands etc.
Directions of activity of specialists on international communications:
- Planning and realization of communicative strategies in international relations (PR campaigns, crisis communications, public diplomacy, image-making, branding);
- Holding of information and analytical research for ministries, agencies and corporations;
- Elaboration and spreading of information and explanatory materials on the foreign policy activity of the state;
- Elaboration for public authorities on offensive and defensive strategies in conditions of information confrontation;
- Analysis and anticipating of international events and behaviour of international relations subjects;
- Organizing of work of press services and communication departments in public and commercial establishments;
- Management of information resources and flows, particularly on the Internet;
- Elaboration and realization of state information policy;
- Providing consult services in all spheres of life;
- Preparation of information and analytical materials for mass media on the actual issues of international relations etc.
EMPLOYMENT OF GRADUATES
The graduates of IC find jobs in such organizations and establishments as:
- Central public authorities (Administration of the President, Committees of the Supreme Council, Council of National Security and Defense of Ukraine, Security Service of Ukraine, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine and other line ministries and departments);
- Diplomatic representative offices abroad (embassies, consulates, representative offices of international organizations);
- Commercial companies/corporations of national and international levels;
- Analytical centres, political parties and civil organizations;
- Mass media etc.
The IC graduates can hold such basic positions:
- A specialist in communication technologies (PR manager/consultant, manager of internal and external communications, expert on analytics and communications, crisis manager etc.);
- A specialist in political consulting, expert/consultant on social and political issues (political operative in the political parties and civil organizations);
- Image maker, a specialist in branding (brand manager, brand consultant);
- Analyst-referent of the press service of foreign policy agencies and diplomatic establishments;
- International analyst in the sphere of mass media (political observer, journalist-analyst);
- Expert in international security (specialist in information operations)
- Content manager, copywriter;
- attaché, diplomatic agent, diplomatic courier;
- Translator etc.
Educational program “International Journalism”
A journalist is a person who has the talent to fill a void every day
In 2016 there was introduced the master’s program “International Journalism”.
International Journalism is a profession-oriented program for students of day studies that last for 1,5 years.
The goal is to prepare the highly qualified international specialists in the sphere of media.
- More about the educational program “International Journalism”
The Master's Program in International Journalism of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv National Research Institute of International Relations is an educational program that trains universal media professionals according to modern European standards.
Training in the program provides practical and theoretical knowledge necessary to work not only in the international media but also with them.
Students will master the basic technological tools of media, and get acquainted with the experience of both Ukrainian and foreign media professionals.
The master's program offers great opportunities to see the world and discover Ukraine in global information flows. During the study, each student will be able to test their abilities on the practice sites: DNIA UKRINFORM, VOCATIONAL NEWSPAPER "VOICE OF UKRAINE", WORLD INSIDE SERVICE, CHANNEL 5, and find a job.
The program started in 2016, and in 2021 it successfully passed the NAME accreditation.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
The program is open to anyone who wants to understand the specifics of international journalism and learn to work in news agencies, international radio, television and other media.
Our students can be bachelors, specialists of any speciality, both with experience in the media and without it. Our students include people with different backgrounds, united by a desire to learn about and work with the world of international media. Depending on the media experience, specialization and professional interests, we find an individual approach to each student.
Studying at the master's program in international journalism of the Educational and Scientific Institute of International Relations of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv is stationary. Successful entrants have the right to study in budget places, and the rest on a contract basis.
Duration of training - 1 year 4 months
Language of instruction: Ukrainian, separate lectures - in English.
The number of licensed places - 25.
The curator of the program "International Journalism" is Anatoly Yakovets
Tel. 097 500-80-49
Assistant is Alla Chernenko
Tel: 044 281-44-21
The educational process is carried out by two departments:
- Chair of International Information, created in 1993, includes 3 Doctorates of Sciences and 10 Candidates of Sciences. The Head of the Department is the Doctorate of Political Sciences, Professor, Honorary Member of Universities (Pittsburgh, USA; York, Canada; Osnabruck, Kiel, Germany) Mykola Rizhkov.
- Chair of International Media Communications and Communications Technologies, created in 2012, includes 3 Doctorates of Sciences and 4 Candidates of Sciences. The Head of the Department is the Doctorate of Political Sciences Sergii Danilenko.
- Annotations of academic disciplines
Educational Program "International Communications"
Educational Program "International Journalism"
Educational level - MASTER